Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Prayer Request

Well while we were home (back in MI) this past week we found out some devastating news. Over the past few months my dad had been having some slight memory and other cognitive problems. He went in for an MRI on Friday and they found a brain tumor. Even as I write that it is still hard to believe, it was such a huge shock and huge blow to us all! My dad is 54 (or around there) and otherwise healthy. Anyways, with the long holiday weekend we didn't know anything and had to wait till today (Tues) to find out any news. My dad was actually able to get in to see a neurosurgeon at University of Chicago today! What a huge blessing to be able to get in to a top notch medical center (know for their neuro) on the same day he was referred! Anyways, the tumor is really large (I can't remember for sure but it is something like 2 1/2 inches by 1 inch which for a brain tumor is big) and based on the rate at which it grows they think it has been there for about 10 years. The doctors most immediate concern is that b/c of the tumor and all the swelling my dad could have a seizure. He has been started on steriods and anti-seizure meds. Basically now the treatment is going to consist of surgery to remove the tumor and then biopsy it to find out if it is malignant or benign. My dad will either have the surgery this Friday or they will get a second opinion and then have the surgery the following Friday.

It has been quit a rollercoaster of emotions from shock to worry to sadness to hope to fear and everywhere in between. I am SO thankful we were home to see my dad and spend some time with him. It would have been so hard to be half way across the country and feel so helpless. So for now we will just keep praying. My dad has people all over the country praying for him. If you would too that would be awesome! I know that God hears our prayers!! If you could pray for wisdom in all the decision making, healing for my dad, safety and success during the surgery, for the surgeon, for a full recovery, that the tumor is benign, and for my dad and all my family to be at peace and to trust God! I know that God is in control and that He is our hope! Thanks for your prayers and I will keep you updated!

UPDATE (Wed 9/8/10) My dad was able to get a second opinion today at NorthWestern (in Chicago). Both he and my step-mom really liked the surgeon and they have decided that he will be the doctor who will do the surgery. They both really felt at peace about that decision. My dad is now scheduled for surgery one week from today, so next Wed (9/15/10). Please keep praying for him. I am so thankful for the ways God has already answered so many prayers.l

No comments:

Post a Comment